Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Copyright Registration Sound Recordings Works

First, let's pinpoint what falls into the sound recordings category. Here's what the
US Copyright Office has to say:

"Sound recordings are 'works that result from the fixation of a series of musical, spoken, or other sounds, but not including the sounds accompanying a motion picture or other audiovisual work.' Common examples include recordings of music, drama, or lectures."

Here are some books about copyrights:

The Copyright Handbook
How to Register Your Own Copyright

Now to file an application:

The application is fairly simple & the cost is $45 per application.

Despite what others state, a "poor man's" copyright is NOT the same as registering it. Here's what the
US Copyright Office has to say:

"The practice of sending a copy of your own work to yourself is sometimes called a 'poor man’s copyright.' There is no provision in the copyright law regarding any such type of protection, and it is not a substitute for registration."

Lastly, here are two great resources:

NOLO's Copyright Resource Center
NOLO's Creative Arts & Music Resource Center


Anonymous said...

I was searching the info you provided from quite some time, I like your blog and I hope you will find these small business bible: trademark related articles quite useful as they have recently added.


Anonymous said...


Shannon, TradeMark Express said...

Thank you Anon! I checked out your site & it's quite handy. The trademark articles are great as well. Thanks for stopping by & commenting!

Anonymous said...

Your welcome Shannon!
I like thier site as they update content very often.

See these articles.

Basis of Your Small Businesses

Administring Your Small Business

Financing Your Small Business

Sales Management and Marketing Your Small Business

Running a Successful Small Business

Small Business E-Commerce