Skip to main content

Trademark 101: State Trademark or Federal Trademark?

Now that you know what a trademark is, what a trademark isn’t, and that you should get a trademark, let’s explore if a State trademark or Federal trademark is most appropriate for your needs.

For the USA, trademarks can be obtained either at the State level or the Federal level. So, which do you need? I’ll explain both and that’ll give you a clearer picture as where to go from here.

First and foremost, a State trademark gives you trademark protection for that specific state whereas a Federal trademark gives you trademark protection nationwide. Simple enough, yes? But, which is the right trademark for your needs?

1)      Are you actively in business?
2)      Are you only doing business in one city or county or just statewide?

If you answered yes to both, then exploring a State trademark is your next step. Here are some advantages to a State trademark:

·         The right to expand statewide. The name will be waiting for you in other metros.
·         If another mark is infringing upon yours within the state, you’ll have access to State courts.
·         Other entities will much more readily accept your trademark and first use common law rights when you have a registered State trademark.
·         Future Federal trademarks will not be able to be used commercially anywhere in your State, thus giving you a strategic advantage against larger competitors.

While a State trademark certainly has its advantages, the increase in Federal filings over the years shows the influence of the internet and the wide reach possible for even the smallest of businesses. So, first, let’s make sure you can even qualify for a Federal trademark.

1)      Are you currently in business in at least 2 states and/or between the USA & any other country?
2)      If you’re not yet in business or in business in only one state, do you have plans to expand to another state or states or other countries?

Before you answer yes or no, it’s important to define what being “in business” actually means in respect to the trademark world. To qualify for a Federal trademark, the mark must be in use in interstate commerce. “For goods (i.e. products), "Interstate commerce" involves sending the goods across state lines with the mark displayed on the goods or the packaging for the goods. With services, "Interstate commerce" involves offering a service to those in another state or rendering a service that affects interstate commerce (e.g. restaurants, gas stations, hotels, etc.).”

So, if you answered yes to either of those questions and your business is truly involved in either interstate, “territorial (between the United States and a territory of the United States), (or) foreign commerce (between the United States and a foreign country),” then exploring a Federal trademark is the way to go.

Still not sure or have other questions, please leave a comment or email me shannon at tmexpress dot com


Popular posts from this blog

Beware of Official-y Correspondence

Once you get that trademark filed be aware that your information is of public record, which means, unfortunately, some will mine that resource & some of those folks will send you solicitations. 
These solicitations often look very official, and "may use names that resemble the USPTO name, including, for example, one or more of the terms "United States," “U.S.,” "Trademark," "Patent," "Registration," "Office," or "Agency."  
Some will even have documents that resemble actual government documents rather than what you'd expect a company to send and this is often done by "emphasizing official government data like the USPTO application serial number, the registration number, the International Class(es), filing dates, and other information that is publicly available from USPTO records."
Most of these are asking you for money. That's your major warning flag.
"All official correspondence will be from the …

$50 Discount: Ends Wednesday, July 20th - Mention the Blog When Ordering

$50 DISCOUNT! Exclusively for you Comprehensive Research & Analysis: Federal/State Trademark & Common-Law Federal Trademark Application Order by Wednesday, July 20! 800-776-0530

So, you finally settled on the perfect name for your product or service – that's fantastic! Finding just the right name is vitally important to the success of any product line or service.
Or, perhaps, we've already searched & filed a trademark for you. If it's been a couple of years, have you had protective research conducted? Do you have a logo or a slogan or a new product/service name?
Regardless if you're new to the world of trademarks or have already gone 'round once, let's walk through a quick primer. Protecting your brand is a vital part of your overall business plan.
Trademark Step-by-Step Primer
1) Is it required that I register my trademark?
No, not at all. However, registering your trademark, specifically your Federal trademark, does provide you with several advantages:
* Pu…