Skip to main content
Gonna Keep Going

Looking over the blog's stats I can tell that all the different international classification posts have been fairly popular. Given that, I'm going to keep on keeping on.

I wanted to give my readers a quick summary of the different classes I'll cover as well as any respective issues.

If you see something missing or you have a question (or five) about classes, please comment below & I'll be sure to post about it.

Left off at IC 25, clothing -- any other questions or issues not yet resolved for anyone?

Will write posts about:
IC 28
ICs 29, 30, 31
ICs 32, 33
- geographically deceptively misdescriptive marks (say that three times fast)

Then it'll be time to move on to Services and I'm thinking it'd be a good idea to write a post for each class, from IC 35 to IC 45. As I go along, I'll address any other side issues that seem to come up when talking about these classes. Of course, feel free to ask questions galore in the comments section.

- Mention our blog & receive $25 off of our Premium Package -
- Put BLOG in the Contact Name field -


Anonymous said…
Quick question. Let's say I have a Service Mark class 35 and would like to begin selling shirts manufactured by another but sold by me with my logo on it for the purpose of advertising the service. Is getting an additional class 25 necessary? Do the class descriptions represent physical areas on which the mark has protection or are they descriptions of the products produced and sold by a manufacturer?
Shannon Moore said…
I'm assuming you filed for retail services in class 35. If you're selling clothing with the name and/or logo on the front of the shirt (or pocket or side of the sleeve, etc), the USPTO considers that ornamental usage & therefore would not work as a specimen for the clothing class. Now if the name and/or logo is on the tags, labels, packaging, then you can submit that as a specimen for clothing.

The class descriptions represent the goods/services for which protection is sought for a particular mark (be it name, logo, slogan or some combination thereof).

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can answer any questions. Thanks for checking out the blog!

-- Shannon Moore
Anonymous said…
So let's say that I have a retail store with a Class 35 mark, and I start selling shirts with the mark on them. I don't trademark under Class 25 because they are made by Hanes and the mark is not a true representation of the shirt's source (and they will say that it is ornamentation).

Let's say that I'm giving my customers 10% off who are wearing the shirt. So I don't want anyone wearing the shirt who didn't purchase from my store. If someone else puts the logo on their own shirt, will that qualify for protection, even though I only have a class 35 mark?

And does that apply for the mark on other things? Mugs, bags, logos on trucks, etc...
Shannon Moore said…
If the clothing (or any other tangible good) is going to be that important to you, you might want to look into creating a clothing (or any other tangible good) line. If you're wanting to have exclusive rights to the logo/design as it's used in connection with clothing (or any other tangible good), then a trademark is the way to go.

You can file for a copyright for the image and I'd suggest you do so. The Copyright Office only charges $35 per filing so it's worth the cost. You can file for the copyright but it does not give you exclusive rights to the same design. I know, it's odd. I'd recommend reading this flyer for further detail:

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

-- Shannon Moore

Popular posts from this blog

Trademark International Class: Class 35 (Advertising and Business Services)
All goods or services are categorized within International Classes (IC hereafter). Goods run from classes IC 1-34, while Services are in IC 35-45. Please see a complete chart here. Let's take a closer look at one of these trademark classes – class 35.

What is International Class 35 All About?

Each class has a short title heading that gives a snapshot of what that class is all about -- IC 35's short title is advertising and business services. Pretty vague, eh? The USPTO has 1476 accepted descriptions that fit into IC 35; check them out here.

The first part of IC 35’s description, advertising, is straightforward. If it’s advertising, marketing or promoting services that are being offered, then IC 35 is where it goes. Now there are going to be some exceptions, as with anything related to trademarks.
Tangible advertising goods, such as signs, flyers, brochures, are NOT going to be in IC 35 as those items are n…

Trademark 101: State Trademark or Federal Trademark?

Now that you know what a trademark is, what a trademark isn’t, and that you should get a trademark, let’s explore if a State trademark or Federal trademark is most appropriate for your needs.
For the USA, trademarks can be obtained either at the State level or the Federal level. So, which do you need? I’ll explain both and that’ll give you a clearer picture as where to go from here.
First and foremost, a State trademark gives you trademark protection for that specific state whereas a Federal trademark gives you trademark protection nationwide. Simple enough, yes? But, which is the right trademark for your needs?
1)Are you actively in business? 2)Are you only doing business in one city or county or just statewide?
If you answered yes to both, then exploring a State trademark is your next step. Here are some advantages to a State trademark:
·The right to expand statewide. The name will be waiting for you in other metros. ·If another mark is infringing upon yours within the state, you’ll have a…
Filing a Trademark: Standard Characters vs Stylized/Logo

When filing a trademark, the USPTO gives you two options: Standard Characters or Specialized Form (Stylized and/or Design). Let's look at each one in detail and that should help you decide the best way to file for your mark.

As with any discussion about filing for a trademark, it is always assumed that you've done your due diligence and had comprehensive research conducted. That being said…

Standard Characters

This option is selected to register "word(s), letter(s), number(s), or any combination thereof, with no design element and when you are not claiming any particular font, style, size, or color, and absent any stylization or design element." In essence the USPTO is talking about plain text.

To qualify for this claim, the mark entered must fit within the standard character set. This includes letters and numbers but also some symbols, such as the ampersand (&), the dollar sign ($), the asterisk (*), etc.

To se…