Skip to main content
Trademark International Class: Classes 29, 30 & 31
(Meats & processed foods; Staple Foods; Natural agricultural products)

All goods or services are categorized within International Classes (IC hereafter). Goods run from classes IC 1-34, while Services are in IC 35-45. Please see a complete chart here. Let's take a closer look at a group of these trademark classes – classes 29, 30 & 31.

What are International Classes 29, 30 & 31 All About?

These 3 classes represent the food classifications for trademarks. Class 29 is meats & processed foods and has 699 possible descriptions; class 30 is staple foods & has 900 possible descriptions; class 31 is natural agricultural products and has 345 possible descriptions.

Meats, poultry, seafood, game are, of course, going to be in IC 29. Also within that class are things like oils, frozen foods composed primarily of meat or fish, canned meats, fruits & vegetables. Nearly anything you'd find at the butcher or in most of the food aisles is going to be in IC 29.

IC 30 are for goods you find in your baking aisle and also includes things like coffee, tea, flavorings, noodles, breads, etc.

Most anything you find in the produce section is going to be in IC 31. Also included are things like fresh flowers and things that are alive be they animals or Christmas trees.

How do I file in International Classes 29, 30 or 31?

Filing in any of the food classes has the same process as any other name. First, comprehensive research is needed to ensure that the name is legally available. That research should entail looking at the ENTIRE of the food and beverage industry. There can be some crossover when it comes to the same or similar name within the entirety of the industry but each situation is different. Let's look at a couple of examples:

1) In 1948, Bluebird was filed for canned fruits and juices in IC 29

2) In 1972, Bluebird was filed for ham & pork in IC 29

3) Fast forward 20+ years when the USPTO was a lot stricter and you'll find that Bluebird was still able to be registered for snack cakes in IC 30.

This does NOT mean that same or similar names can be trademarked all over the food & beverage industry. Again, like with anything trademark related, it's taken on a case by case basis.

For example, Jack Daniel's has attempted to oppose numerous filings food products using either the name Jack or Daniel. Sometimes they succeed as they did with Whiskey Jack and sometimes they don't such as with Doc Jack's.

As you can see, filing a name or logo within the food and beverage industry can be complex so be sure to get the proper help first.

- Mention our blog & receive $25 off of our Premium Package -
- Put BLOG in the Contact Name field -


Popular posts from this blog

Trademark 101: State Trademark or Federal Trademark?

Now that you know what a trademark is, what a trademark isn’t, and that you should get a trademark, let’s explore if a State trademark or Federal trademark is most appropriate for your needs.
For the USA, trademarks can be obtained either at the State level or the Federal level. So, which do you need? I’ll explain both and that’ll give you a clearer picture as where to go from here.
First and foremost, a State trademark gives you trademark protection for that specific state whereas a Federal trademark gives you trademark protection nationwide. Simple enough, yes? But, which is the right trademark for your needs?
1)Are you actively in business? 2)Are you only doing business in one city or county or just statewide?
If you answered yes to both, then exploring a State trademark is your next step. Here are some advantages to a State trademark:
·The right to expand statewide. The name will be waiting for you in other metros. ·If another mark is infringing upon yours within the state, you’ll have a…

Beware of Official-y Correspondence

Once you get that trademark filed be aware that your information is of public record, which means, unfortunately, some will mine that resource & some of those folks will send you solicitations. 
These solicitations often look very official, and "may use names that resemble the USPTO name, including, for example, one or more of the terms "United States," “U.S.,” "Trademark," "Patent," "Registration," "Office," or "Agency."  
Some will even have documents that resemble actual government documents rather than what you'd expect a company to send and this is often done by "emphasizing official government data like the USPTO application serial number, the registration number, the International Class(es), filing dates, and other information that is publicly available from USPTO records."
Most of these are asking you for money. That's your major warning flag.
"All official correspondence will be from the …

$50 Discount: Ends Wednesday, July 20th - Mention the Blog When Ordering

$50 DISCOUNT! Exclusively for you Comprehensive Research & Analysis: Federal/State Trademark & Common-Law Federal Trademark Application Order by Wednesday, July 20! 800-776-0530

So, you finally settled on the perfect name for your product or service – that's fantastic! Finding just the right name is vitally important to the success of any product line or service.
Or, perhaps, we've already searched & filed a trademark for you. If it's been a couple of years, have you had protective research conducted? Do you have a logo or a slogan or a new product/service name?
Regardless if you're new to the world of trademarks or have already gone 'round once, let's walk through a quick primer. Protecting your brand is a vital part of your overall business plan.
Trademark Step-by-Step Primer
1) Is it required that I register my trademark?
No, not at all. However, registering your trademark, specifically your Federal trademark, does provide you with several advantages:
* Pu…