Starting a Business Series: Retail Shopping Store
As this series continues, I'll provide details on specific types of retailing. But for now, let's talk about in a general sense.
The best routes to take are to research the process of starting a business as well as the industry you're interested in.
I recommend checking out the Small Business Administration, Entrepreneur, Start Up Journal, Wall Street Journal & Nolo’s Starting a Business – Resource Center. All four are great informational resources for the new/small business owner.
Check out Entrepreneur's How to Start a Retail Business Guide.
Associations may be a good avenue to explore as well. These organizations will address many of the thoughts, questions and concerns you'll inevitably have as well as many you haven't anticipated yet.
National Retail Federation
North American Retail Dealers Association
Retail Industry Leaders Association
Research, research, research – this cannot be stressed enough. Read as much as you can about the industry. Here are some book titles that are relevant:
- Start and Run a Profitable Retail Business by Jim Dion, Ted Topping
- Retail Business Kit for Dummies by Rick Segel
- Specialty Shop Retailing: How to Run Your Own Store Revised by Carol L. Schroeder
- So You Want To Own The Store: Secrets to Running a Successful Retail Operation by Mort Brown
- Selling Online: How to Become a Successful E-Commerce Merchant by Jim Carroll, Rick Broadhead
- The Complete E-Commerce Book: Design, Build, and Maintain a Successful Web-Based Business by Janice Reynolds
- Intelligent Selling: The Art & Science of Selling Online by Ken Burke
- E-Commerce for Dummies by Don Jones
Building Retail Business without Financial Muscle by James Little
Start a Small Retail Business with Multiple Sales Channels by Jacob Wren
Retail Selling Strategies by Donny Lowy
Hope that helps! I wish you much success & happiness in all your ventures!