The best routes to take are to research the process of starting a business as well as the industry you're interested in.
I recommend checking out the Small Business Administration, Entrepreneur, Start Up Journal, Wall Street Journal & Nolo’s Starting a Business – Resource Center. All four are great informational resources for the new/small business owner.
Associations may be a good avenue to explore as well. These organizations will address many of the thoughts, questions and concerns you'll inevitably have as well as many you haven't anticipated yet.
- National Restaurant Association
- Link to State Restaurant Associations
- National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation
- The Restaurant Business Start-up Guide by Paul Daniels
- Restaurants That Work: Case Studies of the Best in the Industry by Martin E. Dorf
- Restaurant Financial Basics by Raymond S. Schmidgall
- Opening a Restaurant or Other Food Business Starter Kit: How to Prepare a Restaurant Business Plan and Feasibility Study by Sharon Fullen
- Upstart Guide Owning & Managing a Restaurant by Roy S. Alonzo
- The Restaurant Managers Handbook: How to Set Up, Operate, and Manage a Financially Successful Food Service Operation by Douglas Robert Brown
There are plenty of free informational resources out there. Check out these free articles:
Writing a Restaurant Business Plan to Help Your Business Grow by Shaunta Pleasant
Menu Driven Business Planning by Monte Zwang
The Only Way Left for the Little Guy to Get Rich in the Restaurant Business by Jerry Minchey
Hope that helps! I wish you much success & happiness in all your ventures!