Skip to main content
Any Requests?

I've slowed down a bit in my blog posting lately because work is a bit busy. I fully intend to continue the International Classification train but I thought it'd be a good idea to devote a post for requests.

Are there any of the trademark classes you'd like to know more about? If so, please comment with any questions.

Thanks! I'll be back soon!


Marvin said…
Hi Shannon,

I would like to know what a graphic, logo design, and marketing company should file under-trademark or service mark? If it is a service mark, can the TM still be used?

Also, can a state or federal trademark be registered with a sole proprietorship?

If I have a sole proprietorship, can others register a corp. or LLC with that very same name?

Shannon Moore said…
Hi Marvin,

Thanks for your comment & for reading the blog!

Logo & graphic design services are in IC 42 whereas advertising & marketing services are in IC 35.

Yes, a sole proprietorship can be the owner of a trademark, regardless if State or Federal.

No regardless of the ownership, another company cannot file the same or similar name within your industry if you have prior trademark rights. Of course with anything trademark related there could be some exceptions (e.g. if the other company can prove they were using the name longer than you in a specific trade area), but this is the general rule.

Be sure to have your comprehensive research conducted prior to filing. If there are any other questions I can assist you with, please let me know.

Thanks again!

-- Shannon
Marvin said…
Hi Shannon,

Thanks so much for your help!

I do have a few more questions,

Can I use the TM symbol even though I am providing services?

My business is a sole proprietorship. The form asks, Name of Registrant (Owner of the Mark).

Should I put my name or my business name?

Also, I can only state 1 classification number per form. I require 2 classification numbers (IC 42 and IC 35)

Should the forms be mailed seperately?

Thanks again
Shannon Moore said…
Hi Marvin,

You're so welcome!

Yes, you can use the TM symbol even though you're offering services. Most do use that symbol as it's more widely recognized.

You should list the name of your sole proprietorship, which could be your personal name or the company name. It's going to depend on how you're organized.

It doesn't sound like you're completing the Federal trademark form as you can list as many classes as you like & it's done electronically. What state are we talking about here? Once I know what form to look at, I can probably assist you better.


-- Shannon

Popular posts from this blog

Trademark 101: State Trademark or Federal Trademark?

Now that you know what a trademark is, what a trademark isn’t, and that you should get a trademark, let’s explore if a State trademark or Federal trademark is most appropriate for your needs.
For the USA, trademarks can be obtained either at the State level or the Federal level. So, which do you need? I’ll explain both and that’ll give you a clearer picture as where to go from here.
First and foremost, a State trademark gives you trademark protection for that specific state whereas a Federal trademark gives you trademark protection nationwide. Simple enough, yes? But, which is the right trademark for your needs?
1)Are you actively in business? 2)Are you only doing business in one city or county or just statewide?
If you answered yes to both, then exploring a State trademark is your next step. Here are some advantages to a State trademark:
·The right to expand statewide. The name will be waiting for you in other metros. ·If another mark is infringing upon yours within the state, you’ll have a…

Trademark 101: Should You Trademark?

Now that we know what a trademark is and is not, let’s dive into the next logical question: should you trademark?
The easiest way to answer this question is to look at your business and your plans for it.
-Is the name, logo, or slogan an integral part of your business? -Are you doing business on a statewide or nationwide or international level? If you’re only doing business citywide or countywide, do you see potential for geographical growth? -Would another business in your industry using the same or similar name hurt your business? In other words, is it possible you’d lose customers if someone had the same or similar name in your industry?
If you answered yes to any of the above then exploring a trademark is the way to go.
Here’s what a US Federal trademark gives you:
·A legal presumption of your ownership of the mark and your exclusive right to use the mark nationwide on or in connection with the goods/services listed in the registration (whereas a state registration only provides rights…

Trademark 101: What Isn’t a Trademark?

Yesterday’s post was all about what a trademark is so today we’re going to talk about what a trademark is not. Knowing both sides of that coin will give you a clear idea if a trademark is right for you or not.
Let’s use yesterday’s examples as a jumping off point:
·PEACE is the name of your new clothing line and your logo is the peace sign. Both of these things appear on the tags that are attached to the clothing items. You have a variety of designs and sayings that appear on the front of your clothing items, e.g. the front of a t-shirt.
·LOVE is the name of your daycare services. Your slogan, Love blooms here, appears on the web site, the brochures for new parents, the signage inside & outside of the facility. There are also multiple heart designs, created by you, used in your advertisements.
·HAPPINESS is the name you use for your invention, a new kind of food processor. You have stacks & stacks of technical documents explaining how your invention works and every page has the n…