Starting a Business Series: How to Start a Consulting Business
The best routes to take are to research the process of starting a business as well as the industry you're interested in.
I recommend checking out the Small Business Administration
, Entrepreneur, Start Up Journal, Wall Street Journal &Nolo’s Starting a Business –
Associations may be a good avenue to explore. These organizations will address many of the thoughts, questions and concerns you'll inevitably have as well as many you haven't anticipated yet.
- Association of Professional Consultants
- Association of Management Consulting Firms
- Listing of Consulting Associations
Research, research, research – this cannot be stressed enough. Read as much as you can about the industry. Here are some book titles that are relevant:
- How to Start and Run a Successful Consulting Business by Gregory F. Kishel, Patricia Gunter Kishel
- The Consultant's Quick Start Guide: An Action Plan for Your First Year in Business by Elaine Biech
- Successful Independent Consulting: Turn Your Career Experience into a Consulting Business by Douglas Florzak
- The Consultant's Manual: A Complete Guide to Building a Successful Consulting Practice by Thomas L. Greenbaum
There are plenty of free informational resources out there. Here's just a handful: