Starting a Business Series: Starting a Cleaning/Janitorial Business
The best routes to take are to research the process of starting a business as well as the industry you're interested in.
I recommend checking out the Small Business Administration
, Entrepreneur, Start Up Journal, Wall Street Journal & Nolo’s Starting a Business –
Associations may be a good avenue to explore. These organizations will address many of the thoughts, questions and concerns you'll inevitably have as well as many you haven't anticipated yet.
- Association of Specialists in Cleaning & Restoration
- Building Service Contractors Association International
- International Sanitary Supply Association
Research, research, research – this cannot be stressed enough. Read as much as you can about the industry. Here are some book titles that are relevant:
- Commercial and Residential Cleaning Services: A Resource Guide to Developing and Maintaining Your Own Janitorial or Home Cleaning Business by Walter Fenix
- Start and Run a Home Cleaning Business by Susan Bewsey
- Start Your Own Cleaning Service (Entrepreneur Magazine's Start Ups) by Jacquelyn Lynn
- How to Start a Home-Based Housecleaning Business, 2nd (Home-Based Business Series) by Laura Jorstad
There are plenty of free informational resources out there. Here's just a handful: