Starting a Business Series: Start an Import/Export Business
Yesterday's post signaled the beginning (or rather I should say, continuing) of our Starting a Business Series. For the next few weeks, I'll post some handy links & information about starting different types of businesses.
On to the post…
The best routes to take are to research the process of starting a business as well as the industry you're interested in.
I recommend checking out the Small Business Administration
, Entrepreneur, Start Up Journal, Wall Street Journal & Nolo’s Starting a Business –
Associations may be a good avenue to explore. These organizations will address many of the thoughts, questions and concerns you'll inevitably have as well as many you haven't anticipated yet.
- The Federation of International Trade Associations
- Professional Association of Exporters and Importers
Research, research, research – this cannot be stressed enough. Read as much as you can about the industry. Here are some book titles that are relevant:
- Building an Import/Export Business, 3rd Edition by Kenneth D. Weiss
- Import/Export: How to Get Started in International Trade by Carl A. Nelson
- Start Your Own Import/Export Business (Entrepreneur Magazine's Start Ups) by Entrepreneur Press
- Importing Into the United States: A Guide for Commercial Importers by United States Custom Service
There are plenty of free informational resources out there. Here's just a handful: